Monday, 21 May 2012

New York Comedown

I'm back from New York, and would rather not be.
I never thought I would love a city, but New York is just so full and vibrant of different people, different cultures, people who are POLITE and ask you how you are... who will stop and help you with directions even if you don't ask them. People who ask you whether a shelf would look good in their home, when you kinda mistook them to mean that they were wondering if you wanted to buy it for yourself.

Even if the polite hellos and the asking of how you are is not completely genuine, it puts you in a good positive mood, and it feels like at least someone cares about your day. 

Getting back to England could not have been more of a crash land. 
The girl at the airport kiosk where I purchased a bottle of water didn't look me in the eye... in fact she didn't look at me at all. Just gave a grunt and mumbled the amount I needed to give her. After a long haul flight... its just not what you need. When you left central park in the bright warm sunshine with all your colleagues to come back to dreary (yet hot) England with all of the cynical people and the negative attitudes pressing around you like a thick veil. At the service station stop... all I could hear is non stop complaining from middle aged travelers... why isn't this place big enough? where is the seating? why aren't there more tills? 'you would have THOUGHT that they would plan this better' 
Its sickening, and I think inside I was just screaming to get back on the plane and jet off to America never to come back to this negative country. 

It was a shock, and it is still a shock. It always is when you have been to another country. There just seems to be so much hope in other countries that I can't seem to tap into here. 

Still... ENOUGH OF THE NEGATIVITY!

NEW YORK WAS AMAZING

I saw the high line (the park formed on an old elevated railroad on the lower west side of Manhattan) 
It was so beautiful, like I had stepped into a parallel reality.
Flowers aplenty, people laughing, smiling, enjoying the green space and a nice walk without cars etc to get in the way. 

Just wandering around by myself at night was great, seeing everyone going about their business.
Life drawing at the Society of Illustrators was great! With 2 amazing models and a live Jazz band playing, and a bar to boot! 

Central park- phenomenal.

Whole Foods--- I never realised that there existed salad so deliciously delightful in my whole entire life... and fresh made sushi... plus so so so much more. If only I had had my own kitchen for a week in New York.

The visits- ok, but I yearn for more criticism guys!?! What do I need to take out of my portfolio to make it stronger? What is your favorite piece? What style in my portfolio is the strongest and most striking? Where do you think my illustrations might fit (what context?) What do I need to improve on? What could I push further? What would you like to see me doing more of? 
If anyone is visiting this blog from any of the industry visits and you have answers to these questions, I would LOVE to know! Drop me an email at stephanie_ayres@hotmail.co.uk

Ok, must go, my photos have developed! I'll put up the best ones soon... after I've filled out the mountain of paperwork looming over my head!

Chins up!

 

3 comments:

  1. Heyyy, New York sounds like it was amazing! :D

    Also I'll totally do you the sketch (I actually really want to draw it now you've said it), but was wondering if you'd want to do a sketch swap? Though I know how mega busy you must be right now, so something like a very quick 10 minute sketch of a cute frog would be awesome (because frogs are always cute)?? Let me know what you think :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so cool! :) Sketch swap sounds ace, a cute frog can be done... any particular actionnn? I'm glad you like frogs as much as I do, that makes me happy indeed. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'll leave the action to you, anything is cool (and my mind is blank right now). Although my one request is that it be a super colourful dart frog, they're the best. :D

      Delete